You my have seen a great deal of kerfuffle in the press and online about GDPR, which to all intents and purposes is a stiff reminder to businesses that we must ensure that when we get information about someone that it is kept safely and only retained for as long as it is needed. Rest assured, Doglaw Ltd never sells personal information to anyone! However, we still need to comply with this law and we need to tell you how we aim to comply with it.
What is personal information
(A) It includes things such as your name, address, telephone number and email and we may have these details if you attend a seminar, watch a webinar, buy a DVD from us, if you are a member of Doglaw SOS or if you have asked to be on our mailing list.
(B) If you are a member of Doglaw SOS and have used the benefits of Doglaw advice and/or representation, then in addition to the information in (a) we are likely to hold a great deal more information about you.
Where do we get this personal information from
The primary way will be from what you have told us and given to us. Other sources (which will vary depending on the kind of matter) include:-
- If you attend a seminar we may have been provided with your personal information by the host.
Why do we collect this personal information
The main reasons include:-
- So we can identify you
- So we can effectively communicate with you
- So we can take payment from you
- To keep financial records of our dealings with you
What happens to this personal information
Your personal information is kept securely at our office and, subject to the provisions below, is never given to anyone without your prior consent.
The occasions on which we would disclose your personal information to a third party include:-
- If we are directed by a Court or if there is some other requirement by law or regulation
- We shall deem that we have your consent if you are a member of Doglaw SOS and have asked for advice and/or representation, in which case it will be provided to Cooper & Co Solicitors and/or a behaviourist.
- We shall deem that we have your consent if you are attending at a seminar in which case it may be provided to the host
- Our book-keeper and accountants
- Our insurers
- If there is an emergency and we believe disclosure is in your interests
We shall use our reasonable endeavours to ensure that no third party uses your personal data that we have provided to them for their own purposes.
How long will we keep your personal information
Your personal information will be stored in paper files and/or on computer. It will be kept as long as necessary and the period will depend on the particular circumstances:-
- For seminars, it will be kept for around a year
- We keep financial ledgers and copy bills indefinitely in case this is ever required for auditing / taxation purposes
- If you are a member of Doglaw SOS and you have obtained Doglaw advice from Cooper & Co, they will pass the notes to us and we are likely to retain the information for as long as you remain a member or for 6 years (whichever is the longer)
We use Facebook and Twitter. If you have chosen to follow us then we regard you as having consented to receive information from us via that method. On occasions, we use Google Ads and boosted Facebook postings but we do not have access to your personal information when you receive information from us in this manner.
We will only have you on our emailing list as an individual if you have provided consent (and you can withdraw consent at any time). We do occasional mailouts and emails to organisations but these do not contain personal information.
Right to access
If you would like to know what information we hold for you, please email email@example.com. Bear in mind that you may not be entitled to actual document(s) that contain the data. If the data is inaccurate please let us know. You have the right to be forgotten in certain circumstances please contact us.