Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Doglaw SOS Terms & Conditions
- The payment is a subscription of £60 (or £90 for you and your spouse/partner who lives with you in the same
household) to Doglaw Limited (referred to as ‘we’ or ‘us’) for which you are granted membership of Doglaw
SOS for 12 months.
- We reserve the right to decline your request to join or renew your membership of Doglaw SOS.
- You get the benefits specified for 12 months from the date of posting of our confirmation letter (‘the
- The payment is non-refundable unless:- a. we decline your request under para 2, in which case a full refund
will be made as soon as possible, or b. you cancel within 14 days of the commencement date, in which case
payment for any of the benefits you have received during that period will be deducted from the refund.
- You cannot transfer membership or any of the benefits to someone else.
- You must:- a. reside in England or Wales, and b. be over 16 years old
- Membership of Doglaw SOS is not available to organisations, although it is available to sole traders and other
- These terms and conditions may be changed at any time by us giving you 30 days’ notice.
Additional Terms & Conditions for Telephone Doglaw Advice
- The Telephone Doglaw Advice (‘the advice’) will be provided by Cooper & Co Solicitors. Although Trevor
Cooper is the Principal of Cooper & Co Solicitors we cannot guarantee that he will personally deal with your
- Cooper & Co Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA 258139).
- The advice is a telephone service only. Neither we nor Cooper & Co will respond to questions contained in
correspondence (whether by mail, email or any other written format), nor will the advice be provided in a
- The advice is available by prior appointment, although in most cases the advice will be provided on the
same day as requested. The telephone lines are generally available during normal office hours.
- The advice only applies to Doglaw issues (as defined in para 16 below) and it must be:- a. advice involving
pet dogs, and b. relating to the law in England & Wales.
- The date when the cause or matter initially arose must be during the period of your membership of Doglaw
- The advice cannot be provided if:- a. there is a conflict of interest or a potential conflict of interest, or b. it is
a matter in which Cooper & Co have no expertise or c. for anything outside England & Wales.
- Subject to para 17, Doglaw is defined as civil disputes or criminal proceedings involving a dog which is in
relation to:- attacking/injuring people; ownership/access disputes; dog on dog, cat & other animals; noise
nuisance; breed specific legislation; veterinary negligence; disputes between buyers & sellers; Community
Protection Notices; Public Spaces Protection Orders; advice relating to the Animal Welfare (Licensing of
Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.
- For avoidance of doubt, the following is specifically excluded from the scope of para 16:- business law;
planning; defamation; housing law, health & safety; taxation; drafting contractual terms & conditions; and
- Due to the potential for conflict of interest the advice will not be provided to enforcers who are acting in
the course of their employment.
- Subject to para 20, there is no limit on the number of advice calls you can have during the course of your
membership. However, we reserve the right to impose a limit on the number and/or length of calls if your use
of the service is continually excessive, unfair or prevents other members from being able to use the service.
- For advice relating to the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations
2018 you are limited to up to two telephone calls of up to 20 minutes each during the 12 month membership.
- Cooper & Co has professional indemnity insurance with Travelers Insurance Company Limited.
- If you have a complaint about the advice provided by Cooper & Co please write to Trevor Cooper at The Old
Boiler House, Menzies Road, Whitfield, Dover, CT16 2HQ. If that fails to resolve your complaint you may bring
it to the attention of the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 6WJ (Tel : 0300 555 0333)
Additional terms and conditions for Email Dog Behaviour / Training Advice
Additional Terms & Conditions for Email Dog Behaviour / Training Advice
- Although Carolyn Menteith is our Head Behaviourist we cannot guarantee that she will be the person
dealing with your query.
- The advice is an email service only.
- You are limited to up to two emails of a reasonable length during the 12 month membership.
- Whilst we are willing to try to help with advice in cases where a dog has shown aggression, a face to face
consultation is likely to be suggested and this is not included as a benefit of Doglaw SOS.
Additional Terms & Conditions for Representation in a Criminal Court
- Doglaw Limited has the benefit of Group Legal Protection that provides members of Doglaw SOS with Legal
Defence and Helpline Services. This is provided by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited (‘DAS’) –
regn. no. 103274. The policy wording, which contains additional conditions and exclusions, is available upon
request. This is the basis for Doglaw SOS providing Representation in a Criminal Court (‘representation’).
- DAS is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
- Subject to paras 30 – 34, representation will be provided to defend proceedings in
a criminal Court brought in England or Wales against you under Section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991,
Section 1 of the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 or Section 2 of the Dogs Act 1871.
- Representation at Court will be by a barrister appointed by Cooper & Co Solicitors unless there is a conflict
of interest or a potential conflict of interest (in which case representation will be as determined by DAS).
- It does not include payment for any other costs, expenses, fines, compensation or victim surcharge.
- It does not include a case involving a dog to which Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 applies unless
the dog is exempted from the prohibition and the conditions of the exemption have been fully complied with.
- We will arrange attendance at a Police Station by a suitable agent who will attend with you during the
course of an interview under caution (provided we have at least one working day’s prior notice).
- The date of the occurrence (ie. when you began or are alleged to have begun to breach the law in question)
must be during the period of your membership of Doglaw SOS.
The registered office of Doglaw Limited (Company Registration No. 06983617) is The Old Boiler House, Menzies Road, Whitfield, Dover, CT16 2HQ. Doglaw Limited is a separate business from Cooper & Co Solicitors and is neither regulated nor authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.